We strive to make Ohio a place where all animals are protected from cruelty, abuse, and neglect.
We lead and collaborate with teams across Ohio to champion humane policy and coexistence with animals deserving of respect and protection.
An animal compassionate one. We welcome Ohioans looking to turn their compassion into action.
Making a Difference
Fundamental change can be accomplished only through the collaborative efforts of diverse groups who come together to work on innovative solutions.
Systemic change happens when communities learn to enhance the human-animal bond, improve safety, and increase their compassion for animals.
OAA Resource Directory
When resources are critical to action and advocacy, it is important to have a source for statewide connections that help Ohio and Ohio animals.
To support struggling families and their pets, we provide valuable resources such as a list of programs designed for seniors and low-income families.
We advocate for at-risk family members and safety planning for their pet(s) because we recognize a link between animal abuse and family violence.
An opportunity exists for a new approach to learning how we can coexist with wildlife and advocate for protective policies at the state and local level.
- 4/22/2021Earth Day 2021 finds that in the U.S. approximately 100,000 predators, including bobcats, are killed by trophy hunters every year- removing species that are vital to maintaining biodiversity. In addition to the suffering and death inflicted on these animals, the fate of imperiled wildlife foretells some of the risks that threaten all of us who inhabit this planet. Humans and …
- 04/19/2021April 19-24 is National Crime Victims’ Rights Week. OAA’s efforts to support domestic violence victims and their companion animals led to the passage of Ohio House Bill 33. H.B. 33, which mandates social workers, counselors, and veterinarians report animal abuse, went into effect 4/12/21. In addition, Ohio’s Pet Protective Order law, which was passed in 2014, has finally been fully …
- 04/09/2021Calling all domestic violence and animal shelter representatives, veterinarians, and anyone else interested in supporting a pet-friendly program in their community. Learn how to create a program to help domestic violence survivors and their pets find safety and healing together. The Justice Clearinghouse is holding a webinar on 5/11/21 about how to create a pet-friendly domestic violence shelter or program in …
- 04/06/2021In a graphic documentary entitled The Controversy Over Wildlife Killing Contests, The Hill reports that wildlife management experts and scientists say these contests are an inhumane and inefficient way to control predator populations but continue to be legal in 40 states. Check out the following link for a preview and for more information about these contests that can kill up to 1,000 animals …
- 04/03/2021The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) asked OAA to produce a tip sheet for county adult and child protective service workers, and we were honored to help. This H.B 33 Tip Sheet summarizes how to identify animal abuse or neglect and report it to county authorities. Though it’s designed for APS/CPS workers to meet the requirements of …
- 04/02/2021Tickets are now available for the virtual screening of the award-winning documentary STRAY. Through the eyes of three strays dogs wandering the streets of Istanbul, STRAY explores what it means to live as a being without status or security. As they search for food and shelter, Zeytin, Nazar and Kartal embark on inconspicuous journeys through Turkish society that allow us …